Tuesdsay Megalinks

The Boyfriend, a hottie boombottie and IT genius (he can do computery things I can’t even pronounce), asked me the other day why I don’t feature ads on the site. He reasons that it might be a good source of income, which – yes. Alas, I don’t include ‘em for two reasons:
  1. I find ads tend to clog up the visual works. This isn’t the most aesthetically awesome blog in the world (case in point: my food photography), so it needs to stay as clean as possible design-wise.
  2. Since I’m still learning the right way to prep meals, I take most of my recipes from other publications – Food Network, Cook’s Illustrated, bloggers, etc. While I always, always cite my sources, I can’t justify making money off other people’s work. (Insert obligatory Jessica Seinfeld dig here.)
Anyway, CHG will remain footloose and ad-free for the time being. At least until I get fired and really need the money. (Kidding … hopefully.)

On to the links. I’m going to try to include more from here on in, a la the master, Bill Simmons.

Chow: Does Drinking Ice Water Burn Calories?

Short answer: no, and you might die if you gargle too much. But ten points for originality, and locating a doctor named Roger Clemens (no relation).

Chow: Vegans Aren’t Misanthropes
Neat interview with cookbook author/Post Punk Kitchen hostess Isa Chandra Moskowitz dispelling myths about veganism. I don’t know that much about vegans, and it’s a nice place to start edumacating myself. Good tie-in with yesterday’s recipe, too.

Eater: Zagat’s Ready to Cash Out, Whole Shebang Can be Yours for $200M
“Aging but venerable” restaurant guidebook puts itself on market, presumably to either “make mad, mad cash” or “escape dire economic straits.” Looking for “rich, Trumpy types,” or “young mavericks” who like “slim, red” tomes, “extravagant internet sign-up fees,” “convenient number-ranking systems,” and “things in quotes.”

Festival of Frugality #108: Frugal for Life
Dawn's hosting the FoF for a whopping 10th time. Go on over, show her some love, and browse the articles while you're at it.

Get Fit Slowly: Food Hack - Cut it Up
Good advice from JD on the magic of small pieces. It worked for us as kids, so why not now?

Mom Advice: Our Kitchen Makeover

Ooo! I love when people successfully pull off Trading Spaces-style remodels. Behold and be inspired.

New York Times: 101 Simple Appetizers in 20 Minutes or Less

Sometimes, I daydream that I meet Mark Bittman, and my only word to him is “Bittman!” a la “Newman!” from Seinfeld. I need better daydreams.

New York Times: Americans Cut Back Sharply on Spending
Only tangentially related to food, but interesting article nonetheless. Why are we slashing budgets? Maybe we’re all freaking out about rumors of a recession. Maybe we’ve been bombarded by too many humvees. Maybe this frugal thing is rubbing off. Either way, it’s a concrete trend. Read all about it.

New York Times: Food Allergies Stir a Mother to Action
The Gray Lady’s third good piece in a row. Robyn O’Brien is a 36-year-old mother of four who’s convinced Big Food is causing a rise in American kids’ allergies. She might be right. She might be crazy. But she just might be the lunatic you’re looking for.

Serious Eats: Girl Scouts Think You’re Chubs
As a former longtime Girl Scout and current weight watcher (small w's), I salute 100-calorie Cinna-spin packets. The Nabisco ones are a bad deal, but at least part of the money here goes to a good cause. (I got a merit badge for saying that.)

Serious Eats: How Do We Save Starbucks?
Is the chain becoming a victim of its own latte factor? My god, I thought the stock of this place was impenetrable, like a big fort, but made of coffee.

Wise Bread: Living Large with Lower-Calorie Cocktails
Any article that includes the Look Better Naked Margarita has my vote.
Share on :
Tuesdsay Megalinks
Tuesdsay Megalinks
Reviewed by jembe
Published :
Rating : 4.5